The Department of Building Safety serves to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public through interpretation and enforcement of current Land Development and Building Codes. This department additionally serves as the Business Licensing/Occupation Tax issuing and collection unit for the City.
Community Rating System Progress Report
Insurance Services Office (ISO)
Building Code Effectiveness Grading Schedule (BCEGS)
ISO is an independent statistical, rating, and advisory organization that serves the property/casualty insurance industry. ISO collects information on a community’s building-code adoption and enforcement services, analyzes the data, and then assigns a Building Code Effectiveness Classification from 1 to 10.
Class 1 represents exemplary commitment to building-code enforcement. The concept behind BCEGS is simple. Municipalities with well-enforced, up-to-date codes demonstrate better loss experience, and their citizen’s insurance rates can reflect that. The prospect of minimizing catastrophe related damage and ultimately lowering insurance costs gives communities an incentive to enforce their building codes rigorously.
Lynn Haven is (as of July 1, 2015) rated at ISO BCEGS Class 3 in all construction areas.
Effective Codes (as of January 1, 2021)
- 2017 National Electrical Code-NFPA 70
- 2020 Florida Building Code-Building
- 2020 Florida Building Code-Residential
- 2020 Florida Building Code-Plumbing
- 2020 Florida Building Code-Mechanical
- 2020 Florida Building Code-Fuel Gas
- 2020 Florida Fire Prevention Code-NFPA 1
- 2020 Florida Life Safety Code-NFPA 101
- The City of Lynn Haven Unified Land Development Code